The gdb 5.0 on this os does not work out of the box. Using my patch should solve the
problem. This patch is actually assembled out of three fixups:
- access to EF_* in machine/reg.h is incorrect. Instead the defines
CF_* in "machine/coreregs.h" should be used.
- next/step does not work as expected. Found this fixup in comp.unix.tru64.
- When starting a program with the debugger, gdb crashes in
solib_add in osfsolib.c. There is a bit of ugly code there that
extracts the lib pathnames of the debugged program by directly
accessing internal structures of the loader. This didn't work
because the structures changed in a minor way.
I had to add machine description files nm-osf451.h and
alpha-osf51.mh. This also changes the configure.host.
- I don't have access to another release of osf. It may or may not
run on osf5 or osf4 too. If you want to test this they you will have
to adapt the configure.host. If it works, mail me.
- I had no luck with compiling it with a (patched) gcc-2.95.2. But
the alpha compiler the binary is generated just fine.